The following is an update on the fires in BC.
- B.C. is in its fifth day of a province-wide state of emergency. There are more than 560 wildfires burning across the province.
- People living in more than 2,800 properties have been forced to leave, while 11,300 more properties are under evacuation alerts.
- On Friday, the province announced it would match donations to the Red Cross for people affected by wildfires up to $20 million.
- The B.C. Wildfire Service said its cost for fighting fires so far this season has topped $242 million.
- More than 100 Canadian Armed Forces have been deployed to help B.C. personnel.
- Wildfire smoke over western Canada is visible from NASA’s DSCOVR satellite — about 1.6 million kilometres away.
Smoke has delayed on cancelled many flights around the Province. On Vancouver Island the smoke is so thick all fire fighting helicopters are grounded. For the rest of the Provinve go to