The class will start on October 4 and 5, but we will accept latecomers. Registration will end on Tuesday, October 8.
We are also now working on another Basic Qualification Amateur Radio Course which will begin sometime in January. Stay tuned to the RAC website for additional information.
In response to the global pandemic, Radio Amateurs of Canada is once again offering an onlineAdvanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course so that individuals can upgrade their qualifications while continuing to practise social/physical distancing.
With your Advanced Certificate, you can run higher power, operate a remotely-controlled station, obtain operating privileges when travelling overseas, set up repeaters, be the trustee for club stations and even become an Accredited Examiner.
The course will be 10 sessions in length and each session will be two hours long.
In order to offer maximum flexibility, we will be running two Advanced courses so students will be able to choose one of the following two options:
- Sunday afternoons from 3 pm to 5 pm EDT (12 pm PDT) starting on Sunday, October 4, 2020 ending on Sunday, January 3, 2021
- Monday evenings from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm EDT (5:30 PDT) starting on Monday, October 5, 2020 and ending on Monday, January 4, 2021.
Note: There will be no sessions on Thanksgiving weekend, the weekend after Christmas or during the weekends of the CQ WW DX SSB and CW contests as follows: October 11 and 12; October 25 and 26; November 29 and 30; and December 27 and 28.
The course instructor is Dave Goodwin, VE9CB. Dave has been an Amateur since 1975, is an active HF Contester and DXer and has many other interests in Amateur Radio. Since 2015, Dave has been teaching Basic and Advanced certification courses with the Fredericton (NB) Amateur Radio Club. He is also RAC’s Atlantic Director.
The RAC Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio course is being offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future as described below.
Participants in the course will need to meetall of the following requirements:
- Participants must already have the Canadian Basic Certificate of Proficiency in Amateur Radio and a Canadian call sign.
- Participants must already be a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member or become one by joining RAC at the Maple Leaf Operator level or upgrading to that level.
- Participants must have a copy of the Canadian Amateur Radio Advanced Qualification Study Guide provided by Coax Publications. For more information please visit the RAC Study Guides webpage.
- Participants must have a computer and Internet connection capable of using the GoToMeeting (GTM) conference platform. You do not need your own account on GTM to take part in this course, but you will have to download an applet from the GTM site to participate.
- Participants must have a working email address to receive course materials and links to the sessions.
For more information about the course please visit the Advanced Course webpage at:
Registration for RAC Advanced Amateur Radio Course ends October 8
Glenn MacDonell, VE3XRA
RAC President and Chair